Sunday 28 April 2013

Now, what I’m about to tell you probably isn’t going to be good for my image (not that I really have one), but I shall share anyway.

I like Bonnie Tyler.  I also like the Eurovision Song Contest.

So imagine my delight - actually, delight’s perhaps a bit strong – to hear that Bonnie’s representing the UK in this year’s competition.

Here’s hoping she does better than poor old Engelbert Humperdinck did last year.  Ahem, let’s move swiftly on.

Her song, ‘Believe in Me’ is quite catchy.  A bit of an ‘ear worm’ if you like – at least I’ve found myself singing it at regular intervals without really knowing what I was singing.

If anyone can win it for us it’s Bonnie Tyler – not only can she can belt out a power ballad like no other (well, perhaps with the exception of Jennifer Rush), she is, I believe, a huge star in Europe.

She’s also the subject of one of the best sat nav jokes I’ve heard; you’re perhaps familiar with it already, but if not here goes – I’ve got a Bonnie Tyler sat nav, it keeps telling me to turn around and every now and then it falls apart. 

OK, perhaps it’s only funny if you remember her biggest hit from the 1980s, so have a listen to ‘Total Eclipse of the Heart’ and then it’ll make sense, I promise.

In the meantime, let’s wish Bonnie Tyler all the best for the competition on Saturday 18th May in Malmo, Sweden.  After all, we’re holding out for a hero (sorry, had to get that in somewhere!)

No comments:

Post a Comment