Thursday 28 February 2013

World Book Day, an admirable celebration, is being held on Thursday 7th March this year.

I’m all for it, and I think this is a great way of getting children interested in books and reading. 

Long live the printed word - world e-reader day doesn’t quite have the same ring to it, does it?

Yet, if I’m honest, this day also fills me with dread.

Why, I hear you cry?  Because it’s inevitably followed by the words – ‘Everyone can dress up’.

Now, I don’t know about you, but I’m not in the least bit crafty in any sense of the word. 

Yes, I did a bit of sewing at school, but this masqueraded under the title of ‘Art Textiles’, and involved drawing a cross section of an apple and then making a pin-cushion using coloured felt.

Not very useful for making costumes in later life I can assure you!

So, not only do I have to create an outfit for darling daughter, but because I help out at school that day I also have to arrive in fancy dress.

The idea is to dress up as your favourite book character, which presents me with yet further quandaries. 

Do I go with something studious like Cathy from Wuthering Heights, or something the children can relate to – like Bella Swan from the Twilight saga?  Twilight could be considered, I would argue, as a Wuthering Heights for the i-Pod generation.

Ultimately, I think it’s going to have to be something that already exists in my wardrobe and can be adapted.  Or better still, does anybody know of any literary characters that wear my usual ‘uniform’ of jeans, hooded tops and chunky boots?!

No comments:

Post a Comment