Thursday 7 February 2013

Yet again, an MP has been caught out by lying.  Not about expenses this time, but about speeding and who was (allegedly) driving his car at the time of the offence.

As Chris Huhne has discovered, to the cost of his political career, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. 

There’s an expression in common parlance that the truth hurts.  Personally, I’m not sure that is correct, as I believe it is lies that can be truly damaging.

In my Room 101, I’d put lies in there along with bad manners – an all encompassing category that includes lateness, disrespect, dropping litter, and unnecessary swearing – jobsworths, drink drivers and cruelty to people and animals.  This list is not exhaustive by the way, I reserve the right to add to it later!

I cannot tolerate lies and liars.  We have a rule in our household that no matter what happens, or what we’ve done, we tell the truth and then we can sort it out.  This applies to everything, from minor scrapes in the car (me... or maybe husband) to playground squabbles, etc (daughter... maybe me).

Believe me, I can handle the truth.  If I ask ‘does my bum look big in this?’ you don’t have to be so blunt as to say ‘yes, absolutely’, the answer ‘perhaps that’s not the most flattering fit, why not consider this instead?’ is an acceptable reply!

I have my faults – some might say the list is long, this blog isn’t big enough – but when I’m wrong I admit it, I don’t lie to get myself out of it, I ‘man up’, apologize, and move on.  Wouldn’t the world be a better place if others – especially our MPs and those in authority – did the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment