Thursday 14 March 2019

Dr Martens


I was so pleased to read in the Northants Telegraph about the £2 million expansion of the Dr Martens' site in Wollaston.

At last, some good news for the county, and indeed the whole country.

I'm going to admit to also being very excited about the new heritage centre and factory tour too - please sign me up!

You see, I love DMs, always have.  I've been working it out, and I've been a proud wearer for over 30 years now.

My DMs have evolved as I've aged though:  my ten-hole black boots, customised with Guinness laces from my tour of St James's Gate Brewery in Dublin - I love a good brewery/factory tour, you see - have long since been replaced by a slightly more demure pair of heeled Doc shoes, still with the proudly distinctive chunky bouncing soles.

I had a 'proud parent' moment too when I bought my daughter her first DM boots - a purple pair from the factory shop in Wollaston, naturally. 

Everywhere she went in them she received compliments.  Sadly now outgrown, I can't bear to part with them.  Not sure I can find her first pair of baby shoes, but I know where her first pair of Docs are!

The new heritage centre will be a boon to the local tourist economy, as visitors are sure to flock to see an iconic brand being produced and learn more about its history to boot (pardon the pun!).

I also found it extremely heartening to read about the success of Dr Martens' 'Made In England' range. 

As somebody who always tries to buy British and support our economy whenever I can, it's good to know that this part of the business is thriving.

Truthfully, we really have so much to be proud of in this county, let's celebrate a great Northamptonshire success story and focus on some good news for a change.

Well done Dr Martens!

No comments:

Post a Comment