Thursday 21 March 2019

World Book Day 2019


Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of World Book Day.

Anything that encourages children to read books is something to be applauded, and I think it's fantastic that so many schools get involved with this event.

But I'm sure I'm not the only parent who breathes a sigh of relief once their child reaches secondary school age so no longer has to, or has any desire to, dress up as their favourite book character.

I know, the kids love it, but it's just another thing we parents have to worry about, ensuring a suitable costume is ready, sometimes with short notice because we didn't see it on the newsletter/didn't get the letter/missed it because the dog and/or cat was being sick on the carpet at the time and we were distracted with more pressing matters, and then we just forgot.

Yes, I also appreciate that a lot of people just buy a costume, or let their children wear their favourite superhero outfit on the day - that's ok too.  Life's complicated enough, and trying to shoehorn a reluctant child into an outfit they don't want to wear only ends in tears for all parties concerned.

Speaking from personal experience, if you're not particularly crafty in any sense of the word, creating outfits for dress-up days or school plays is a nightmare.

I remember the time mine announced she had to go to school dressed as a mini-beast, as they were studying bugs for their topic.

Rather unusually for me, I somehow managed to handcraft a spider costume, using one of husband's old black t-shirts and four pairs of my M&S black opaque tights, stuffed with copies of the Northants Telegraph.

This, however, is my one and only triumph at creating a costume for such an occasion.  And yes, I'm pretty sure I disassembled it and gave himself back his t-shirt and continued wearing the tights once the newspaper was removed - 'reduce, reuse, recycle' as Bob the Builder would say, hopefully in a book somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment