Thursday 28 February 2019

Bonsai


I felt very sorry for the Japanese couple who had seven specimens from their priceless Bonsai tree collection stolen, including a Shimpaku Juniper which was over 400 years old.

In a plea for their return, the couple also gave instructions on how the trees should be properly cared for, and said they were like their children.

Doubtless the thieves have already got buyers lined up for the precious plants, we can but hope that they do some research and care for the trees.  Or even better, do the right thing and return them to their original owners, unharmed.

But as I read this story and marvelled at the age that these tiny trees can get too, it also made me think of every single plant that has crossed my threshold only to reach the end of its lifespan long before its expiration date.

It's not that I don't care about plants - I really do, and I love trees and my garden.

It's just that when they come into the house, sit pride of place on a windowsill in a plant pot, I just forget to water them.

It's become embarrassing though, as any time I'm presented with a plant I tell the kind bestower that of course I'll water it, feed it, talk to it and nurture it.  I tell myself that maybe this time will be different and this one will survive.  Except they never do. 

The one exception is a particularly hardy Aloe Vera which has made it past the ten year mark.  How this has happened is a mystery.  It perhaps needs donating to science to have its DNA sequenced or whatever they do as I may have stumbled across the secret to eternal life, unwittingly and unknowingly.

When my family teases me about the demise of yet another plant in my care, I remind them to be thankful that at least I remember to feed and water each of them, and to please note that the dog is exceptionally well cared for too!

No comments:

Post a Comment