Thursday 28 March 2019

Baked beans for Brexit


The lady from Bradford being interviewed for BBC Breakfast was adamant - she was stockpiling baked beans for Brexit because, she said, you can live on them if you have to.

I'm not sure that's been scientifically proven, and Doctors probably wouldn't agree that this is a long term dietary solution, but I could relate to what she meant.

They're tinned with a reasonably long shelf-life, you can stack them in the pantry/cupboard/spare bedroom/garage/shed (depending on numbers requiring storage and availability of room), and they are pretty tasty. 

I also hear that they can be consumed cold, but despite the number of years I've walked this planet, I've yet to try this so can't really comment.  My personal recommendation is hot, on buttered toast, perhaps with a side serving of cheese, if you're feeling fancy.

But although I'm quite a fan, I do think that to eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner over a period of several days would get a little repetitive, and would probably lead to some unfortunate side effects which might add to the climate change crisis if the whole nation followed suit.

It did make me wonder though if we should perhaps be putting a few extra items in the trolley each week, just in case?

I'm not talking about going 'wild in the aisles' Supermarket Sweep-style, but it's probably sensible to make sure that you're not going to run out of loo rolls, particularly if you are planning on partaking in the Brexit baked bean diet, as detailed above.

And tea - never mind the numerous coffee shops and the low-fat, one-shot cappuccino with chocolate sprinkled on the top - we all know that this nation runs on tea, so it might be worth buying another box of your favourite brew to tide you over.

So onto my list goes extra baked beans, loo rolls and tea.  Oh, and cheese - you can never have too much cheese.  Again, this is my own personal opinion, I'm not a Doctor: a medical professional would probably say you could have too much cheese...

No comments:

Post a Comment