Thursday 6 March 2014

The Lego Movie - one long advert or something deeper?

We went to see The Lego Movie in the February half-term.

As predicted by every review I'd read, I came away from the cinema with a tune stuck in my head.

But thankfully it's not 'Everything is Awesome' - no, the ear-worm I'm suffering from came from an advert shown before the film.

I hadn't seen it on TV before then, and it did make me smile.

It's the one with the little girl on the pink bike with a cat in the carrier at the front - which admittedly I first thought was going to be about road safety and/or cycling proficiency.

Yes, ever since then, I've had Starship's 'We Built This City' going around in my head.

Adverts have a lot to answer for when it comes to tunes I can't stop singing - I bet I'm not the only person who still knows the words to the Shake 'n' Vac song (then again, perhaps I am).

Getting back to The Lego Movie, I think it's safe to say that it divided opinion in our household.

Daughter thought it was fabulous, and keeps singing the aforementioned 'Everything is awesome' at every opportunity - my eternal thanks to the composer who came up with that tune.

Mr B felt it was just one long advert, and the ending was too schmaltzy - that's my translation for the words he actually uttered.

I thought it was good because I felt it worked on a number of levels.

Without spoiling it for those yet to see it, I think it encourages creativity, and reminds adults to be less stuck in their ways - literally as well as metaphorically.

I think it may even be a plastic building brick interpretation of the George Bernard Shaw saying:  "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Then again, I might be over thinking it having seen the adverts for the movie tie-in Lego sets on TV this morning...

No comments:

Post a Comment