Thursday 20 October 2016

I say Honey, you say...

There's a question that's been annoying me.  I'm sure I'm not alone, so I'm going to open up and discuss it with you all.

In the great scheme of things, I know I really shouldn't care.  But here goes - is Honey G a real 'urban artiste' or is it somebody creating a joke character in the style of Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G?  Could it even be David Cameron in a wig and baseball cap?

I only ask because I really don't know.  I'm wondering if she's going to rap her way to the final and then be transformed into an opera singer or something.

I was actually quite cross when she made it through to the X Factor live shows at the expense of talented singers like Janet.  We've always had to sacrifice good singers for the so-called 'entertaining' acts like Wagner, Jedward and Bratavio.  Bratavio's Aqua/Vengaboys mash-up was pretty awful, I'm not surprised they've been voted off. 

But, and I almost can't believe I'm admitting this, I actually enjoyed Honey G's performance during the first live show.

She looked like she was enjoying herself, not taking it terribly seriously, and even more surprising, she appeared to be singing in tune too.  I could even get behind the 'I say Honey, you say G' refrain.  However, she needs to prove now that she is not a 'one trick pony' - she really can't put that into every song week after week.

I'm not sure what categories have survived through to the new X Factor jukebox which supposedly randomly chooses the following week's theme.  I think it will be a great surprise if Fright Night isn't on the Hallowe'en weekend.
 

We used to have Big Band and Abba weeks.  Now we have 'Louis Loves', which makes me wonder what horrors we will be subjected to when the wheel of fortune selects that option.  I imagine Boyzone and Westlife's greatest hits will feature prominently - the prospect of Honey G singing 'Flying Without Wings' is enough to keep me tuning in!

No comments:

Post a Comment