Friday 23 November 2018

Spice up your life


It's easy to be cynical about the Spice Girls' reunion and forthcoming tour.

Any negative comments I've seen about it seem to suggest that they are only doing it for the money.

I thought that this was a strange thing to accuse them of, to be honest.  It was as if being paid to perform was a bad thing.

Do these people think the likes of Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones are still gigging for the good of their health?  No, I don't imagine that they are.  I assume they must still enjoy it, but don't think for one minute that they'd put themselves through all that for nothing.

The nostalgia market is huge - many 80s bands and solo artistes are still touring - so why shouldn't the Spice Girls and other 90s acts?

I must add at this point that I didn't consider myself to be a fan of their music.  But Chris Evans played a montage of their songs instead of Serious Rockin' one Friday morning, and I don't mind admitting that I found myself singing along and even doing a small jig while ironing (no easy feat!)

One listener even texted in to say that her little boy had just been fitted with hearing aids having been profoundly deaf.  For the first time ever, he'd started dancing while listening to the Spice Girls' music.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who appeared to have something in their eye while listening to Chris read out that text.

The point I'm trying to make is, whether or not you like the Spice Girls, it doesn't really matter.  They make people happy, they make people dance, and thousands of people are paying to see them perform live again.

Let's stop being so cynical about music, artists, their motivation for performing etc.

Let's just acknowledge the fact that everybody's different, we all like different genres of music, and one isn't necessarily better or more valid than another.

People of the world, it really is time to spice up your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment