Wednesday 7 November 2018

Radio 2 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it


'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' - not the most grammatically correct of sayings, granted, but true nonetheless.

On many occasions I've uttered this mantra and saved myself a lot of unnecessary stress and heartache.

I think the bosses at Radio 2 should have also said this to themselves before they changed the format of the Drivetime show.

They had a popular presenter in the shape of Simon Mayo, they had a winning formula of chat, confessions and cookery amongst other things.

But for some reason best known to themselves, they decided to throw this all up in the air and parachute in Jo Whiley to co-present with Mr Mayo.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Jo Whiley, and I've made no secret of the fact that when I grow up I want to be Jo Whiley.  She's like the cool girl at school we all wanted to be best friends with and of whom we were slightly in awe.

But the lack of professional chemistry between Simon and Jo - who have been friends for 25 years, so it's not like they don't get on - was painful to listen to.

In fact, I had to stop listening, because it made my ears hurt and I couldn't concentrate on cooking the dinner while cringing so much.

Now Simon has resigned and is heading for pastures new - rumoured to be Smooth FM, but who knows.

Jo has been given back her evening show, which is where I first listened to her on Radio 1 with Steve Lamacq.

Sara Cox has been announced as the new host of the Drivetime show, and I like her a lot, but would have preferred her on the breakfast show where she more than ably covers for Chris Evans in his absence.

I just hope they leave Popmaster with Ken Bruce and Steve Wright in the afternoon just as they are. 

Otherwise for lots of listeners serious jockin' will become serious leavin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment