Tuesday 29 May 2018

The importance of keeping M&S


To say I'm upset about the threatened closure of M&S branches in Kettering and Northampton is an understatement.

I'm absolutely mortified that these two towns - in both of which I've either gone to school, college and work at some stage - are going to lose one of their main stores, the heart of their once great high streets.

The threat to both towns should not be underestimated either if these proposed closures happen.  It could well have a knock-on effect on other stores if there's a steep decline in footfall.

In truth, we'd suspected closures might happen once the Rushden Lakes shop opened.  And of course I recognise that the world of retail has changed dramatically over recent years, with the increase in online shopping.

But about five years ago, I stopped all online shopping.  I didn't like the way online giants were starting to dominate retail, so I made a stand and changed the way my family and I shopped.

If we want books, we go to Waterstones.  If we need CDs or DVDs, we go to HMV.  For gifts and toys we head to The Yards, and for some of my clothing and food shopping, I go to M&S.

So if like me you don't want to see Kettering and Northampton lose their M&S, keep shopping there, or start shopping in store if you don't already.

Don't buy your stuff online, go in and see the staff, some of whom have worked in the Kettering branch since I was a teenager.

Because if we don't, and we don't support other shops in our town centres too, they will sadly close.  This is also the reason I use the Post Office and my Bank branch regularly.

If M&S goes, where will people who live and work in Kettering and Northampton go to buy their lunchtime sarnies, and purchase their 'Dine in For Two with free wine' offer (my personal favourite)?

But even more importantly, every time we need new undies we'll have to make a special 'pants pilgrimage' to Rushden Lakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment