Tuesday 2 January 2018

First Aid

I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again - it's really important that everybody has some knowledge of basic first aid.

Still etched in my memory is the night my then boyfriend (now my husband) and I were enjoying a quiet drink in a village country pub.

A group of people at a nearby table were enjoying a meal when one of the ladies started choking on her steak and chips.

Nobody knew what to do.  It was frightening, she started to panic, as did her companions, the young waitress, the chap behind the bar, everyone was standing there watching her face change colour as she struggled for breath.

The barman brought her a glass of water - I nearly shouted 'What good is that? She can't breathe!' but stopped myself because he was only doing what most British people do in a crisis, fetch a glass of water or brew up a cup of tea.

I did say to try slapping her back, as I had memories of my mother doing this when my brother was choking on his dinner once.

As she continued to splutter, cough and change to a disturbing colour of puce, after what seemed like an eternity the steak eventually dislodged itself and flew across the table, her face changed back to a rosy pink, she sipped on the glass of water and apologised profusely to the entire pub.  She and her group continued with their meals while everyone else went back to their drinks.

It was at that point I vowed I'd get some first aid training because I never wanted to feel that useless again.  I genuinely thought I was going to see somebody die before my eyes because nobody - including me - knew what to do.

I did do a first aid course, although thankfully I've only had to use the knowledge gained on a few occasions.

If you're looking for a New Year's resolution, how about learning first aid?  You never know when you might need it and what a difference it could make.



No comments:

Post a Comment