Wednesday 27 December 2017

Review of the Year

Here's 2017, as seen through my columns:

In January, I watched Planet Earth II and said David Attenborough alone is worth the licence fee - a still-valid sentiment, see Blue Planet II.

February saw me discussing optician visits and wondering why they're still reliant on the 'which is clearer, red or green?' test.

In March, I had to explain to my daughter what an orgy was, thanks to tabloid tales about Prue Leith; related the tale of my Auntie's coffee table, smashed because of a mis-timed swan-dive; and talked about the perils of self-employment.

A major story that appeared throughout the year was our fears of losing Corby's Urgent Care Centre, a topic I'm afraid will rumble on into 2018.

In April, we had the 'Legs-it' debacle, and I said we shouldn't comment on female politicians' appearance (would you discuss Corbyn's calves?), and how The Apostrophiser was my kind of superhero.

May saw me declare that Car Share is a comedy classic, and that school parking rules apply to everyone.

In June, I discussed the Manchester bombing and its aftermath, and that it's important to reassure our children about the good people, doing good things, every day.

July had me waxing lyrically about the Englishness of classic car shows, Pimm's in the sunshine and flower festivals, and how voluntary workers are the backbone of Britain.

In August, I mused on the workings of the honours system and thanked the Powell family for their many years of serving our community.

September saw me eating humble pie as I admitted the new GBBO wasn't that bad, and discussing Market Harborough's Arts Fresco and Betty Brawn's chopstick breaking 'breasts of steel'.

In October, I discussed local dialects m'duck, and Strictly Come Dancing.

November, and I emphasised the importance of Northamptonshire's libraries, and mentioned the Bake Off final and The Paradise Papers.


In December, we had the amazing Shakespeare Schools Festival at the Corby Cube and the engagement of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle.  What will 2018 bring, other than a Royal Wedding?

No comments:

Post a Comment