Saturday 12 October 2013

Remember, remember, the Fifth of November...


Now, as regular readers are hopefully aware, I'm not a 'party pooper'.

 
I have a reasonable sense of humour and fun - yes I'm aware that everyone thinks that about themselves - and I don't want to rain on anybody's parade.

 
But I'm going to be completely honest with you all.

 
I hate Bonfire Night.  Loathe it with a passion.

 
Why such a vitriolic response, you're perhaps wondering, to a traditional British event?

 
Well, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just the one night.  If everyone gathered quite sensibly at the Boating Lake in Corby - other venues are also available - and watched an organized display, I would be OK with it.

 
What I cannot stand - and I don't think I'm alone in this - is the fact that it starts sometime in October, and continues right through November.

 
This year Bonfire Night is on a Tuesday, so we'll definitely have fireworks the weekend before and the weekend after, and many more nights in between.

 
I don't like the fact that people indiscriminately let off fireworks at any time of night.  It frightens animals, small children and older people too - including myself.  Last year a large firework went off near my home and I thought there had been a gas explosion.

 
Genuinely, if I ruled the world, after sorting out hunger, poverty and organizing world peace, I would ban the sale of fireworks to the general public and only let licensed displays purchase them.

 
I appreciate that this is not going to be a universally popular rule, but I'm sure the A&E departments would thank me, as would people with small children and animals.

 
So please, before you purchase your mini incendiary devices from the supermarkets, stop and think about what you're doing.

 
Wouldn't you be better saving your money and going to an organized display?  They have far more, and better quality, than you'll ever be able to buy, and it's a safer environment (hopefully) for everyone.

 
But if you do decide you're having your own fireworks, please have a thought for your neighbours, their children and animals.  Thank you.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment