Friday 3 August 2018

The hottest, or driest, summer since 1976?


It's official, apparently - it's the hottest, or the driest, summer since 1976.

As I saw somebody say on Twitter, anyone reminiscing fondly about the summer of '76 didn't have a car with vinyl seats.

As somebody who did, I can confirm that peeling yourself off them on a hot summer's day whilst wearing shorts or a sundress was an extremely unpleasant and painful experience!

The hot weather has an unfortunate side effect though - apart from the horrendous thunder storms which knocked out my broadband for five days at the time of writing.

I was woken in the night by the storm which broke the run of extremely hot, dry weather, and took myself off to the bathroom - the inevitable result of being woken in the night when middle-aged - only to have the room illuminated while I was in situ.  My main thought was 'please don't let me be struck by lightning when on the loo!', as that's not a sight I'd want the emergency services to face.

But I digress, no the side effect to which I'm thinking is the seemingly compulsory revealing of as much flesh as possible.

Really, what people do in their own homes or gardens is completely up to them, but when supermarkets feel the need to impose a dress code - i.e. no nakedness please near the fruit and veg - I do have to ask where's common sense these days?

Nobody, I repeat and emphasise, that nobody wants a hairy armpit thrust in their face when they're selecting their veg!

Seriously guys - and it is usually guys, as I've yet to see a topless woman in the supermarket - please pop a t-shirt on when nipping into the shops, if not for decency's sake then for hygiene reasons.

If needs be, channel the vibe of 1976 and think to yourself that you don't want to be burning your back on the car seats on your return, vinyl or no vinyl!

No comments:

Post a Comment