Wednesday 3 May 2017

The end of Car Share

It's almost a relief that I can talk about it now - I'd watched the whole second series of Car Share on the iPlayer, but couldn't discuss it as I didn't want to spoil it for people who were watching weekly.

That's a good point actually - if you haven't seen it yet stop reading now as the following piece contains spoilers.

What an ending!  Talk about going out on a high.  Or low, depending on your viewpoint, because the ending really was very sad, the Marillion track especially poignant.

I think the daydream sequence where John climbs over the cars was a nod to the Everybody Hurts video by REM, but I haven't had this confirmed.

Car Share has been a delight from start to finish.  My favourite episode was the one at the safari park where John and Kayleigh accidentally stole a monkey - or rather the monkey hitch-hiked on the roof of the little red Fiat 500L - and they then returned it, having sat it in the back of the car wearing its seatbelt.

I think it's already earned its place as one of the best comedies of all time.  Yes, you read that right.  I'd rank it alongside Fawlty Towers, Father Ted and Only Fools And Horses, before Del and Rodney became wealthy.

While I was initially disappointed that the second series of Car Share was also going to be the last - disappointed is an understatement, I was utterly bereft - now I given it some thought, it's totally the right decision.

There's nothing worse than your favourite show 'jumping the shark' (see Fonzie in Happy Days).  Only Fools should have stopped once Del and Rodney became the millionaires they'd always promised themselves they would be; it was never the same after.

Peter Kay left us wanting more with Phoenix Nights after just two series, although he is teasing us that there is another season of that written and ready to go - I just hope he unleashes it on us soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment