Thursday 20 April 2017

Overheard in North Norfolk

Where do you stand on listening in to other people's conversations?

I don't mean a glass against a wall, or tapping into somebody's phone or voicemail - that's a whole heap of wrongness.

I mean just casually tuning in to what other people are saying when you're in a café, pub or shop?

I have to be honest, this is something I tend to do, as it's often where you hear the most interesting things.

Some recent examples, from my annual pilgrimage to the seaside, which I will call 'Overheard in North Norfolk' - I was in a bookshop, browsing the latest titles whilst also bagging a bargain in their closing down sale (due to retirement, not the relentless onslaught of online retailers, or so they said).

One assistant said to the other "Gold shouldn't rust should it?", to which the other replied "No, I don't think so."  The first lady then said "Well I don't think these earrings are gold then, as they've gone rusty and made my ears go funny" - it was honestly like being an extra in a Victoria Wood sketch.

Then in a hostelry in Holt, I happened upon a conversation about Engelbert Humperdinck, as you do.

A couple were discussing the crooner, and talking about a man who looked like him only to discover it actually was him as he lives somewhere near Leicester.

They had a discussion about his songs, except they couldn't remember what he sang apart from 'Release Me', and then they were asking each other what his real name was.

I'm afraid to say it was at this point I joined in and helped them out - and told them it was Gerry Dorsey and he also sang 'The Last Waltz'.  I'd had a glass of wine at the time, and I did tell them I wasn't entirely sure that was correct so not to quote me.


I've subsequently discovered his birth name was Arnold George Dorsey but he did sing as Gerry Dorsey, so I'd just like to give the couple from Oakham the correct information!

No comments:

Post a Comment