Tuesday 7 March 2017

The Travers Foundation Showcase, 2017

Break-dancing and I have a bit of a mixed history, I think it's safe to say.

I'm still slightly mentally-scarred from an incident that happened in the 1980s - my cousin was demonstrating his 'swan-dive' I think it was, and somehow he managed to smash my Auntie's coffee table, resulting in us all being told off.

As a result, I have never become an urban dancer myself - that, and of course at my age it could result in some sort of hip injury and the NHS is under enough strain.

However, I am relieved to report that there were no such injuries or damage to furniture when I saw the Bodyrox Dance Company perform at The Travers Foundation showcase recently.

They were an enthusiastic bunch of young people who gave a brilliant performance to 'Happy House' by Siouxsie and The Banshees.

We had all gathered together at The Core at Corby Cube to see some excellent performances from beneficiaries of the charity and to raise some money to fund future stars in sports, the creative and performing arts.

Composer Lizzie Turney gave the premiere performance of her specially composed theme 'My Dream Is Still Alive' which she'd written for the charity.

Soloist Kara Hamer managed to give me goosebumps yet again with her superb cover of Snow Patrol's 'Run', and her version of Cilla's 'You Are My World' was another crowd-pleaser.

Young ballroom dancing couple Emily Brown & Scott Wilson would surely have got a 'ten from Len' for their tango, and the Liberty Drum Corps ended the evening on a high note complete with drums, brass instruments and flags.

I even did a bit of 'star spotting' too - golfer Ryan Evans was there, as were athletes William Sharman and Lucy Hatton.  I think my daughter was cross I didn't ask them for autographs, but it didn't seem appropriate!


All in all it was a fantastic evening of entertainment and fundraising for The Travers Foundation, a local charity helping local young people achieve their dreams.  Well done to all concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment