Monday 14 March 2016

The Travers Foundation Showcase

I always have the utmost respect for people who take to the stage and perform.

It's something I've done myself - admittedly many years ago - and I know how much guts it takes to put yourself out there.

My last performance, if it could be called that, was the first and final time I sang at a karaoke.  Abba's Waterloo has never sounded so awful and I still shudder at the memory.  My only excuse is that there was alcohol involved, but sadly not enough to make me sound good or to erase the memory!

In complete contrast, I saw a host of talented youngsters who could dance, act and sing beautifully when I was invited to the Travers Foundation Young Stars Showcase Dinner at The Cube in Corby.

So good were the performers that I wanted to emulate Amanda Holden on Britain's Got Talent and get to my feet with a beatific smile on my face and clap until my hands hurt.

Genuine goosebump moments came when Kara Hamer performed Cilla Black's 'You're My World', when Vicki-Louise Sherwin sang Puccini's 'Oh Mio Babbino Caro', and when Meg Lyons finished the evening with a stunning version of 'I Know Where I've Been' from Hairspray.

If it had been a talent show these singers would have sailed through to the next round.

Charlie Botting and Vicki-Louise also performed their single 'Now I've Found You At Last' which they've released to raise money for Lakelands Hospice.  These amazing singers have raised over £6000 for this worthy charity, and I'm full of admiration for them.

All of the performers on the evening had been funded by The Travers Foundation, which is a Northamptonshire-based charity supporting 13 to 30 year olds in Northamptonshire, Rutland and Leicestershire helping them to improve their skills in sports, the creative and performing arts. 


It's a charity with which I have had the pleasure of working over the past three years, and it's wonderful to see how we are helping these young people achieve their dreams and fulfil their potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment